ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] prescheduled postcheduled commands help

2007-08-22 17:57:00
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] prescheduled postcheduled commands help
From: Timothy Hughes <Timothy.Hughes AT OIT.STATE.NJ DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 17:54:19 -0400
Andrew Thanks,  That was the problem, It also corrected the issue with me
being unable to start  the TSM Acceptor the backup is now scheduled to run.

Now hopefully this will work tonight.  :-)

regards,

Tim

Andrew Raibeck wrote:

It's PRESCHEDULECMD, not PRESCHEDULEDCMD. Same for the POST* version. :-)

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead

http://www.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 08/22/2007
12:32:14 PM:

William Thanks again,  Makes perfect sense and I definitely want piece
of mind knowing that the services
are started right after the backup ends I will use this as soon as this
works one time.  Right now I am getting
the following errors, Apparently  it doesn't  like my entry's in the
dsm.opt file.

I tried both the following entries with no luck. Also, I am unable to
start the client acceptor
getting the following service could not be started on Local Computer.

PRESCHEDULEDCMD Stopstuff.cmd
POSTSCHEDULEDCMD Startstuff.cmd

and

PRESCHEDULEDCMD "c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\baclient\Stopstuff.cmd"
POSTSCHEDULEDCMD "c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\baclient\Startstuff.cmd"

I am getting Error in options file

ANS1036S Invalid option 'PRESCHEDULEDCMD' found in options file
'C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsm.opt'
ANS1038S Invalid option specified
ANS1036S Invalid option 'PRESCHEDULEDCMD' found in options file

'dsm.opt'

at line number : 1
Invalid entry : 'PRESCHEDULEDCMD "C:\program
files\tivoli\tsm\baclient\Stopstuff.cmd"
ANS1038S Invalid option specified

Tim

William Boyer wrote:

When the script exits the condition code (ERRORLEVEL) of the last

command executed is used as the completion code for the script. In

your example, if the first net stop/start fails and the 2nd one

works....then the script will show zero completion...but it really

half-failed. You could always make this script complete

successfully just by putting any command as the last command that will

always give an ERRORLEVEL of 0. Like ECHO. Then no matter what the

rest of the script does, it will always show as completed

successfully.

The PRESCHEDULECMD is such that if the command returns with a non-

zero condition code, TSM client does not perform the backup.

I think on the POSTSCHEDULECMD you need to check the condition code

of the NET START's to alert you if they fail to start. You could

then be pro-active and get the services going before the users

discover it for you.

This is a good place to start if you need to get it going now, but

I really think you should look at condition code checking and

alerting on errors in the long run.

Bill Boyer
"A life? Cool! Where can I download one of those?" - ??