ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Servermigration and IP-Replacement

2007-08-21 04:48:04
Subject: [ADSM-L] Servermigration and IP-Replacement
From: Michael Bartl <michael.bartl AT SPACE DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:47:55 +0200
Hi Folks,
we're in the process of replacing one of our TSM servers.
Old machine is TSM 5.2.2.3 on Solaris,
New machine is TSM 5.4.0.3 on Win2k3.

To minimize impact on the clients I thought of this:
1. ex/import all nodes/schedules/domains... to new server (some with data, some without)
2. swap IP-addresses of the servers
3. disable sessions on old server, enable on new one
4. hope it works...

Now TSM learns the IP-address of a client at first contact. So the question is, will the new server import the client address and initiate the incremental correctly? If I have to manually touch every client, I can also go through a step-by-step migration and adjust the optfile to the new servers' IP.

Anybody has tried this already?

Best regards,
Michael
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Michael H. Bartl      Mail: mbartl AT space DOT net
SpaceNet AG, Technik                          Tel:  089 / 32356-151

Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Alexander Grundner-Culemann
Firmensitz: München, HRB: 136055 (Amtsgericht München)
USt-IdNr.: DE813185279