ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] open Access files

2007-08-17 17:56:40
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] open Access files
From: William Boyer <bjdboyer AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 17:54:27 -0400
Yeah, but unless the Access application opens the database with exclusive use,
you can get a backup of an open Access database. And
even Microsoft says that's a no-no. I use to have a link to a KB article at
Microsoft that said even doing a COPY of an open MDB
file would leave the copy corrupt and unusable. Retrying 3-times (SHRSTATIC) is
OK, but if the file doesn't change and is just open
during the backup, you got a backup that might not be any good.

That is unless Microsoft has changed the way Access operates in later releases.
That KB article was a couple years old.

Bill Boyer