ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Library manager still shows REMOTE

2007-08-16 18:48:26
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Library manager still shows REMOTE
From: William Boyer <bjdboyer AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 18:46:35 -0400
The volhist TYPE=REMOTE entries are created when a library client requests a
scratch tape and the library manager changes it to
status=private and creates this REMOTE entry with LOCATION of the owning
instance name. It doesn't have anything to do with MOVE
DRM. There is a TYPE=REMOTE for every volume in a library clients inventory in
the library manager volhist. Whether checked in to
the library or not. This is what prevents you from bringing back a tape and
checking it in as scratch.

I have found another way to create a REMOTE entry. If you make sure there is no
REMOTE entry, check out the tape from the library
manager libv and then from the library client run an AUDIT LIBR CHECKL=B. This
will create a REMOTE entry on the library manager.
Then you can check that tape back in.

You don't mention what you mean by "stuck" volumes. The only way to checkout a
tape from a library client is via MOVE DRMEDIA or
MOVE MEDIA commands. They communicate with the library manager to eject the
tape. Not create or modify this REMOTE entry in the
volhist. The full syntax of the del command is

del volhist type=remote volume=xxxxx tod=+0 force=yes

These are undocumented options to the command.

Bill Boyer