ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Delete volume does not free up disk space

2007-08-08 00:20:57
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Delete volume does not free up disk space
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 23:19:09 -0500
.
If these are OS-format files, you do not want to run a Unix rm command
on them, because then you'll have to run dsmfmt all over again. This is
painful and long. As long as they're a useable size for your next use of
them, just keep them and reuse them via Define Vol.

I've seen cases where the TSM Delete Vol command would fail even though
Move Data had completed successfully and Q Content showed no data. When
this has happened to me the problem went away if I simply waited an
hour.

Consider raw logical volumes. Solaris and AIX support them, probably
other OSs as well. The time saved in not running dsmfmt is huge. The IBM
manuals try to hide their existence, but many of us use them
exclusively.