ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Best way to upgrade from LTO1 to LTO3 drives

2007-08-02 15:27:47
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Best way to upgrade from LTO1 to LTO3 drives
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 14:26:03 -0500
LTO3 can read, but not write, LTO1 cartridges.
So that config's a no-brainer; pop in your LTO3 drives, mark all you LTO1
carts as READONLY.  You can create a new stgpool for LTO3 (or it's easier
to rename the old pools to poolname-OLD, use the original poolname for
LTO3, then you don't have to redirect any mgmt classes).  Then all your
new data is written with LTO3; you can start a MIGRATE command to move all
the data from the LTO1 cart pool to the new pool.

LTO4 is harder, since it cannot read or write LTO1.
In that case I would create a new partition/logical library for the LTO3
drives; it's so easy to do with a 3584. Then proceed as above.  Rename the
old stgpool, create a new stgpool in the new library that is LTO3, issue
MIGRATE command to move data from LTO1 to LTO3..

Wanda