ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Upgrade and Move to new TSM server

2007-07-31 21:23:09
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Upgrade and Move to new TSM server
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 19:05:25 -0400
I'll echo John's concern about the mksysb.  If the new hardware is
different, then your mksysb is probably not a good idea.  You'll need
to be running the same version of TSM server on both old and new
hardware.  You can then copy over the TSM-specific files.  I think
John got them all.

I'm not clear on why you're doing the flash copy, unless it's to
preserve a copy of everything in the event that something doesn't
work.  When I upgrade server hardware, I simply export the VGs from
the old server, re-assign the disk LUNs to the new server (if
necessary), and then import the VGs to the new server.  As John said,
you'll need to know which disks each volume group are on.  I use the
wwn for this, as the hdisk numbers will be different.  You can also
use pvid, but I think wwn is probably better.  You can see this via
lsattr -El hdiskn.

Of course, it's always a good idea to have a good DB backup just in case.

You'll also need to worry about redefining paths to any tape
libraries and drives, as the device names may be different on the new
server than they were on the old server.  We have a script we use to
change the rmt names to not be random.  We change them to include
part of the WWN.  This guarantees that the path names will be
identical on any system, so we don't have to worry about redefining
the paths when we move a server instance to a new server.  We
actually have some scripts we use that allow us to move TSM server
instances between two AIX boxes that have shared (SAN) access to the
same disk and tape LUNs.  It's not HACMP, but it allows us to easily
move load around when we need to.

..Paul