ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM vs. Legato Networker Comparison

2007-07-30 16:34:07
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM vs. Legato Networker Comparison
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 16:06:29 -0400
Dave,

Your response to John's question is well-worded and full of incredibly
valuable information from a valuable point of view: someone who has used
actually both products.

Your comments on NetWorker's licensing couldn't be more spot-on.  FWIW,
MOST backup products are similar; TSM is one of the very few with
licensing as simple as it is.  One other, although completely different,
product with a simple licensing model is Asigra, where it's pure
capacity-based - no agent/client licensing, no CPU count, just GB
protected.

I wanted to make one minor point about something in your post.  You said
you'd been using NetWorker since it was Budtool. Legato NetWorker and
PDC BudTool were actually completely separate products from two
different companies that existed at the same time in the space-time
continuum.  Legato acquired PDC and its customers, and then proceeded to
migrate them ASAP to NetWorker; it sounds like you were one of those
migrated customers.  That may have given you the impression that BudTool
became NetWorker, but that wasn't the case.  Legato acquired it and
dumped it.  (Why they acquired then dumped an entire product line is a
conversation for another day.)  I only make this point because some
people may have negative (or positive) opinions about BudTool, and I
wouldn't want them to think they were getting anything related to
BudTool if they buy NetWorker.

Again, very thoughtful, well-worded message.

---
W. Curtis Preston
Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com
VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies