ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM vs. Legato Networker Comparison

2007-07-27 14:08:53
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM vs. Legato Networker Comparison
From: "Schneider, John" <schnjd AT STLO.MERCY DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:06:10 -0500
Kelly,
        Thank you for your post.  There is no reason to say we are
unhappy with TSM.  Since I inherited this environment about a year ago,
due to lots of hardware and software version upgrades, and help from the
Windows and AIX teams, our daily backup completion status (neither
missed nor failed)has gone from 95% to 99%.  That is less than 10 out of
the ~1000 clients daily, which is quite good by industry standards.
        No, according to management, cost is the driving factor.  The
proposals between IBM and it's closest competitor are, over a total
three year cost, umpteen thousand dollars apart (I won't say the exact
figure).  It is enough to make everybody take notice.
        Of course, no one has figured in the cost of conversion, both in
software and manpower.  That will be huge.  Not to mention the huge
distraction and lost opportunity cost and risk of outages that could
result.\        I agree that IBM ought to go back and sharpen their
pencil, and bargain away this threat to their territory.

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
Email:  schnjd AT stlo.mercy DOT net