ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 6 vs 8 character LTO2 volser - do I care ?

2007-07-26 16:20:58
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 6 vs 8 character LTO2 volser - do I care ?
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:48:17 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU
> In reference to my previous posting, I am moving my 3583 LTO libraries
> from AIX ownership to Linux ownership (as well as the newest 5.4.1
server
> level).
>
> I just checked in some scratch tapes to the Linux system and the tapes
> came up as 8-characters (090000L2 vs 090000).
>
> Do I care ?  Is this going to cause any conflicts or other problems ?
Is
> this going to require relabeling ? Can I set it back to 6-characters ?
> read that LTO3 requires 8-chars but these are LTO2 only. No plans to
buy
> any more drives and we certainly wouldn't mix them if we did !

As long as you're not putting previously labeled tapes into the new
library, you should be good to go. If you're putting in previously
labeled tapes with no data on them (scratch tapes), you'll need to force
a relabel. If the tapes have data on them, you're in for a hell of a
time; you cannot force a relabel without rendering the data unreachable.

--
Mark Stapleton
Berbee (a CDW company)