ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] backing up just a few directories?

2007-07-18 14:14:30
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] backing up just a few directories?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:53:06 -0400
On Jul 18, 2007, at 1:06 PM, Dave Mussulman wrote:

I have a few systems I'd like to add to TSM but only backup a few
directory hierarchies.  These aren't always mount points (for example,
the /etc directory under the / mount point.)  Does TSM really not
have a
way for me to define "just back up X" without worrying about anything
else on that mount?  I know I can do a

exclude /.../*
include /etc/.../*

but then I get all the directories backed up all over /.  I could
append
exclude.dirs for the larger hierarchies (/lib, /usr, etc.) but that
seems awkward too.  I feel like I'm going at this problem the wrong
way,
but I haven't found a right way.

I tried putting a non-mount point in the domain line, but the client
didn't like that.  Recommendations?

Get familiar with TSM facilities to be able to choose from the
possibilities it provides.

If you want to always backup up just /etc, then define that as a
VIRTUALMountpoint and then code it on the DOMain statement.  Then, /
etc will become a TSM filespace.  Another possibility: The dsmc
Incremental command accepts a file system, directory, or file, so you
could instead specify that as the OBJects value of a client schedule
(OBJects="/etc/").

  Richard Sims