ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] HSM for Windows

2007-07-13 21:43:18
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] HSM for Windows
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 21:40:11 -0400
On Jul 13, 2007, at 4:21 PM, Schaub, Steve wrote:

One question I have not been able to figure out is whether HSM & the
filesystem ever perform any sort of "reconciliation" - for example,
when
a user finally decides to delete his illegal mp3 collection from the
corporate fileserver, how does the HSM archive receive that notice
so it
can be reclaimed?  Or are we going to have ghosts in the attic
forever?

HSM for Windows is little more than the TSM API Archive facility
glued to a special MS Windows file interface, as described in its
manual and a Redpiece on it.  Files endure in TSM server storage per
Archive retention period.  From all I've read, there's none of the
thoroughness of the Unix HSM - no command set, no daemons, no
reconciliation.  I feel sorry for people who buy into HSM for Windows
(or Windows itself, for that matter).

  Richard Sims