ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] SATA disk?

2007-07-12 10:19:04
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] SATA disk?
From: Johnny Lea <jlea AT DIS.UMSMED DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 09:16:37 -0500
My potential setup with this TSM server is to add a single Dell MD1000 with 15
750GB SATA drives.  I'm currently using all SCSI disk (12TB) and an LTO3
library.  No problems yet.  I'm just needing more primary storage.  The MD1000
does have the option for SAS drives but only in 300 GB drives.  I guess I'm
leaning toward the SAS drives and give up some storage space.  I can't really
afford a performance hit.
Thanks for all the responses.

>>> Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US> 7/12/2007 7:47 AM

In our situation we plan on putting primary storage pools on SATA,
keeping copypools on cartridge because of the constraint that copypools
behave like virtual volumes.

>>> Andy.Huebner AT ALCONLABS DOT COM 07/12/2007 9:32 AM >>>
To me it is not the incoming, but the outgoing that is the greatest
concern.  If the next pool is physical tape, be sure you have enough
speed to keep up with your tape drives.  If the disks cannot keep up
with the physical tape drives then performance will not be acceptable.
Since many VTLs use ATA disks we know it can be done.

Andy Huebner