ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Migration of a Copy storage pool impossible? or is it a feature request?

2007-07-11 14:43:20
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Migration of a Copy storage pool impossible? or is it a feature request?
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:40:46 -0400
>> On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 08:40:48 -0400, Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT
>> FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM> said:

> While not what you are trying to do, next year I'm going to have a
> similar copy pool issue.  Next year we plan to replace our old 3494
> libs (3590 drives) by expanding our new 3584 libs (3592 drives).
> The 3494 libs have our copy pools.  The ONLY way I can come up with
> to get the copy pools into the 3584 libs is to create new copy
> pools.  I'm estimating that recreating the copy pools will take up
> to 4 weeks.  This will put tremendous stress on the primary pool as
> it does it's normal processing, keeping the old copy pool up to date
> during the change, and creating the new copy pool.

You can build the "new" copy pool gradually over time: there's no
reason to rush it.  4 weeks, 4 months... :)

> Any ideas on a better way to accomplish this would be appreciated!!!

Virtual volumes.

The primary ( I call it 'client-facing' ) server knows its' copy
stgpools as SERVER volumes; the copy server can move its' data from
one tape tech to another completely independantly.  Virtual volumes
are also the answer for staging copy data to disk, with a write to
tape at a later point.

- Allen S. Rout