ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Migration of a Copy storage pool impossible? or is it a feature request?

2007-07-11 10:01:50
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Migration of a Copy storage pool impossible? or is it a feature request?
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 08:40:48 -0400
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 07/11/2007
02:39:52 AM:
> version 5.4.0.3 it is not possible to have a NEXTSTORAGEPOOL on a copy
pool
> to migrate data from stage 1 DISK to stage 2 on TAPE, it is also not
> possible to make a script to use move data command to move data from
stage
> 1 to stage 2 when move data command is not valid.

While not what you are trying to do, next year I'm going to have a similar
copy pool issue.  Next year we plan to replace our old 3494 libs (3590
drives)
by expanding our new 3584 libs (3592 drives).  The 3494
libs have our copy pools.  The ONLY way I can come up with to get the
copy pools into the 3584 libs is to create new copy pools.  I'm estimating
that recreating the copy pools will take up to 4 weeks.  This will put
tremendous stress on the primary pool as it does it's normal
processing, keeping the old copy pool up to date during the change, and
creating the new copy pool.

Any ideas on a better way to accomplish this would be appreciated!!!

It seems to me there should be a feature that allows:
1) copy a copy pool
2) A migration hierarchy on copy pools just like primary pools
3) allow a pool to span libraries

I like #3.  I've never quite understood the limitation of a pool
having to reside within a library.  I've used several other
backup packages that allowed this.   I found it a very useful
feature.

Rick

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.