ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How to use TSM library drive in AIX

2007-07-10 12:35:34
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How to use TSM library drive in AIX
From: David Bronder <david-bronder AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 11:34:11 -0500
Nicholas Rodolfich wrote:

> I need to use one of the drives in the TSM library to create a TAR
> image and send to a vendor. Can I use the drives in the library without
> hosing up the TSM drive paths for regular AIX commands.

Yes, you can do this.  Be sure you don't stomp on any tapes TSM thinks
it owns when you write your TAR file, though.

> Do I take the drive and/or path offline?

Dismount any tape TSM may have mounted in the drive you intend to use
using "dismount volume VOLSER".  Then take the drive offline using
"update drive LIBNAME DRIVENAME online=no".  When you're done using
the drive outside of TSM, put the drive back online with the same
command, but "online=yes".

> How do I load/unload the tape?

This depends on the type of library.  An example for mounting on a 3494
(on AIX, as you indicated):

  mtlib -l /dev/lmcp0 -f /dev/rmt0 -m -V VOLSER

Replace "-m" with "-d" to dismount.  Note the volume has to be loaded
into the library and have a barcode with the VOLSER (or be inserted as
an unlabeled volume on a 3494).  Other libraries may require different
utilities or require knowing element numbers (tapeutil can do at least
some of this).

--
Hello World.                                    David Bronder - Systems Admin
Segmentation Fault                                     ITS-SPA, Univ. of Iowa