ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Splitting the TSM Database into three

2007-07-09 17:03:20
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Splitting the TSM Database into three
From: William Boyer <bjdboyer AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 17:01:58 -0400
If you server has enough resources (CPU, memory, storage...) then put the new
instance on the same server. You have to update the
clients DSM.OPT file for the ones that backup to the new "instance" anyway, but
instead of chaning TCPSERVERADDRESS you change
TCPPORT.

You currently have your TSM instance running on port 1500. So, first create an
instance to be the library manager using port 1700.
Setup server-server and create a shared library on the libmgr and define all
your paths. Now define your TSM instance and create the
paths to the drives. They'll be the same as what you just created for the
libmgr.

When you're ready, create a 3rd instance running on port 1600 with the same
size of the production DB. Define the shared library and
paths to this instance and using a Dbbackup from the TSM instance, restore it
to your new TSM(3) instance. Bring it up, change
settings (servername, serverhl, serverll,...) then start deleing the data for
nodes in TSM(3) from TSM(1) and data visa versa.
Change your client DSM.OPT files for the new TSM(3) instance.

I'm not sure how TSM server licensing is, but if you put it on another server I
think you need to purchase another license. But if
you just create more instances on the same server,...? You should contact your
IBM business partner for the definitive answer. So it
may be cheaper in the long run to add more resources to the existing server and
create multiple instances.

Bill Boyer
"Backup my harddrive? How do I put it in reverse?" - ??