ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] netapp backup taking too long

2007-07-09 16:16:25
Subject: [ADSM-L] netapp backup taking too long
From: "Haberstroh, Debbie (IT)" <HABERDE AT VOUGHTAIRCRAFT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 15:14:50 -0500
I have a netapp share that is being backed up through a Windows 2003 server and
is taking 23-25 hours to run.  It is on a gigabit network, processing
approximately 3.9 million items.  Does anyone have any suggestions how to
accelerate this job?  Max mount points=7, resourceutilization=7,
memoryefficientbackup=no.  All of the netapp shares back up through this one
server but this is the only one that is this large.  The sys admin setup
several batch jobs that start separately so that more than one backup can run
at one time. My TSM server is on AIX 5.3, TSM 5.3 with a 180Gb database, 87.2%
utilized so I am hesitant to do anything that will further tax the server.
Any ideas how I can back this up faster without stressing the server?  Thanks.

Debbie Haberstroh
Server Administration
Northrop Grumman Information Technology
Commercial, State & Local (CSL)