ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] AW: [ADSM-L]

2007-07-04 09:03:21
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] AW: [ADSM-L]
From: William Boyer <bjdboyer AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 09:02:06 -0400
Yes, Include.encrypt does not INCLUDE files for backup processing or assign
mgmtclass to files. It only specified files to have
encryption applied to them. I just ran in to a similar problem where a user
wanted to exclude everything on a drive except for a
single directory and have that encrypted. They had the exclude D:\...\* and
then an include.encrypt d:\groups\...\* and nothing
backed up. Reading the client manual I found a small statement under the
include.encrypt that this was applied AFTER all
include/exclude processing was done on files that passed the filter. It kinda,
sorta almost comes right out and says that burried
down deep in the doc.

      *  Tivoli Storage Manager processes exclude.dir and other
         include-exclude statements first. Tivoli Storage Manager then
         considers any include.compression, include.encrypt and
         include.subfile statements. For example, consider the following
         include-exclude list:
         exclude c:\test\file.txt
         include.compression c:\test\file.txt
         include.encrypt c:\test\file.txt
         include.subfile c:\test\file.txt

         Tivoli Storage Manager examines the exclude c:\test\file.txt
         statement first and determines that c:\test\file.txt is
         excluded from backup processing and is, therefore, not a
         candidate for compression, encryption, or adaptive subfile
         backup processing.

The description is vague and confusing.

Bill Boyer
"Experience is a comb nature gives us after we go bald." - ??