ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] AW: [ADSM-L] Manage backup of MS SQL 2005 server with TDP from SQL

2007-07-03 12:15:18
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] AW: [ADSM-L] Manage backup of MS SQL 2005 server with TDP from SQL
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 11:13:57 -0500
> Wanda,
> thanks for your fast reply!
>
> We would like to get the best of both worlds.
> Until now our SQL DBAs used SQL management studio to write their backups
> to disk.
> Now they would like to use the same Maintenance Plans to backup their
> databases writing directly to TSM.
>
> Our oracle DBAs do all their management (including scheduling backups and
> checking backup success) using the oracle enterprise manager.
> So our SQL DBAs would like to do all management tasks using the management
> studio.
>
> Do you think this is possible?

No, I don't think so.  The Oracle Enterprise Manager (RMAN) does the
Oracle backups; the TSM Oracle TDP just makes TSM look like a funny tape
driver to RMAN.  So RMAN is doing what it normally does.

The TSM SQL TDP is actually a client itself, it does the backup.  I don't
believe there is any way to make the SQL enterprise manager talk directly
to TSM (unless Microsoft is willing to provide it!)

I think your best bet is to just let TSM back up the flat files that SQL
Enterprise Manager produces. Then the DBA's can use the SQL Enterprise
Manager for everything, assuming they have the available disk space.

Does this make sense?