ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Misleading errors

2007-06-28 07:54:32
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Misleading errors
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 07:53:19 -0400
When performing a TSM db restoral on a system whose device
configuration differs from the one where the db backup tape was
created, you naturally have to adjust the Device Configuration file
to match the new reality, so that the standalone restore operation
can understand what it has to use to accomplish its task.  Failing to
do that results in unsurprising error conditions.

I recall reading - though I can't put my finger on it at the moment -
that in modern TSM, a db restoral can occur with an automated
library, as the 'dsmserv restore db' functions are more capable now.
(The db salvage utilities remain retro, and still require a Manual
Library.)

There are various IBM Technotes advising on devconfig file structure
and illustrating how to adjust contents for different hardware.

   Richard Sims