ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Slow TSM DB Performance?

2007-06-24 14:33:03
Subject: [ADSM-L] Slow TSM DB Performance?
From: Gerald <gwichman AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 11:31:50 -0700
Ultimately i'm trying to run an import on 23 LTO tapes which is going
too slow and i'm trying to determine why. When it first started for
the first 16 tapes or so, I was seeing 30MB/sec+ import speed. On
Friday I noticed a lot of I/O activity on hdisk0 which is where the
TSM DB is located and thought maybe i could achieve higher import
speeds if I striped that JFS2 file system across both the internal
hdisks. Thats where my troubles began..

I managed to arrange this through a series of AIX commands creating a
new striped fs and creating/deleting dbv's but when done, performance
was worse. I put it back to how it was and performance has not
recovered. I now tried putting the DB on a raw partition and still
performance isn't any better.

I'm not sure where to go from here. hdisk0 where the raw partition is
located is still pegged (see below). A q stgpool takes quite a while
to come back and ultimately i'm importing at a rate of about 6MB/sec
now.

The bad news is i'm on tape 17 of 23. Tapes were taking about 7 hours
to import at 30MB/sec and i suspect we're now importing at a rate of
1/5 of that so lets call it 28 hours per tape. If true, the remaining
tapes will take 7+ more days to import.

My one idea is i could dump and load the DB to reorg it (perhaps thats
causing the slowness?) but that would involve halting the import and
starting it over - something that would also cost me 3-4 days or so.
So it may be worth it but I don't even know if that's the root of the
problem.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Oh, this server has no data on it and does not do any
backups/restores. It was deployed soly for importing this set of
tapes.

tty:      tin         tout   avg-cpu:  % user    % sys     % idle    % iowait
         0.0         41.7               0.5      0.6       50.0      49.0

Disks:        % tm_act     Kbps      tps    Kb_read   Kb_wrtn
hdisk0          98.9     978.0     244.5       9780         0
hdisk1           0.0       0.0       0.0          0         0
cd0              0.0       0.0       0.0          0         0