ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Lost in TSM licensing

2007-06-22 16:53:26
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Lost in TSM licensing
From: Wanda Prather <wanda.prather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 15:52:22 -0500
This makes me nuts, because the for purposes of licensing, they use the
term CLIENT and SERVER in a completely different way than the TSM product
itself does.

If you have a machine you want to back up that is a standalone machine
that provides NO SERVCIES to other machines (e.g. a desktop; or a CAD/CAM
engineering workstation), then it doesn't matter how many processors are
in it, you need a CLIENT license for it.  CLIENT licences are very cheap.

If the machine you want to back up provides any services to any other
machine (a print server, file server, your TSM server), you need the OTHER
type of license to back it up, which is now based on "value units", which
is based on the number of processors in the box and what type they are.

(And yes, that means a big fast honking 8-processor engineering graphics
workstation with 4 80GB hard drives full of engineering drawings will cost
you LESS to back up with TSM than a leftover slow 1-processor Winders box
running as a print server.)

Sites that backup desktops have a lot of CLIENT licenses.
Sites that don't back up desktops often have none.

The cost of the CLIENT vs. SERVER/value unit licenses (and again, this is
CLIENT or SERVER as they are used for licensing, not the TSM sense of
CLIENT and SERVER) is MORE per license if you have TSM EE than if you have
TSM basic, but the logic is the same:

If the box provides NO SERVICES TO OTHER BOXES, it needs 1 CLIENT license,
no matter how many processors it has.  If the box provides services to
other boxes, it needs licenses based on the number and type of processors
it has.

The people who wrote the documentation for licensing should be forced to
publish their home phone numbers. And pager numbers.  And keep them ON
during nights and weekends.