ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Question for you <rant>

2007-06-16 13:56:55
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Question for you <rant>
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 19:55:49 +0200
Allen S. Rout wrote:
>>> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:41:17 -0500, Bob Booth <booth AT UIUC DOT EDU> said:
>
>> IBM.. please listen to your customers, we have been giving you plenty of
>> warning.  You can save yourself and us money and time, if you change your
>> ways.

> Not to toot my own horn (but deliberately tooting Bob's), but when
> customers of such longstanding interaction with your product are
> frothing in this way, you're doing something Really Really Wrong.
>
> Anyone interested in time-on-target protests at Oxford?

It's at least a good opportunity to talk some of the IBM folks about a
lot of fun stuff, and voice our concerns. As for me, my major concern is
that it is completely impossible for me to know how many licenses we'll
need, even when asking all my customers to report that to me on a yearly
basis, leave alone when the day comes that IBM decides to audit the bunch.

We have developed a postgres database with a lot of tools to keep track
of licenses, and I'm 100% sure there are lots of errors in the database,
nnot because we don't want to keep decent accounting, but because it
really is impossible.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 3000    Fax. +31 20 668 3167
PGP Key fingerprint = 6367 DFE9 5CBC 0737 7D16  B3F6 048A 02BF DC93 94EC

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the
computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to
end." -- Douglas Adams