ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Any tips for someone making the leap of faith of migrating from z/OS to AIX

2007-06-15 16:19:11
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Any tips for someone making the leap of faith of migrating from z/OS to AIX
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 16:18:11 -0400

________________________________

...  On z/OS the tape library is manage by other mainframe
products.  TSM on z/OS has no knowledge about the tape library on z/OS
other than the number of drives and the device types. SMS rules decides
on the tape media is correct and the system assign the tape drives. What
new TSM commands will I have to learn with AIX.  z/OS version of TSM has
no concepts of library, library checkin or /dev/rmtn, ATAPE or other
unique Unix thing.

==> Well, you've pretty much covered it.  On non_Mainframe TSM, you have to
define the library, drives, and paths, and  check in tapes.  After that, TSM
pretty much handles all the tape activity automatically.Exactly how it works
will depend on what type of library you have - what is it?  And are you sharing
it with any other application, or is it dedicated to TSM?

I have it setup with full message automation, highlighted console
messages, automatic emails and automatic responses to messages.  How
would I set up something similar in AIX?

==>"it depends".  There are about 47 different ways to do it, depending on your
environment.

- TSM supports SNMP traps, that is, TSM on AIX will send messages as SNMP traps
to any SNMP receiver you designate.  If you are using Mainframe Netview to
generate your highligthted console messages, I believe there is a NetView
thingy that will let it receive traps from a non-mainframe source, but I've
never done it (or seen it done).

-You can also write your own exit and have TSM messages forwarded anywhere you
want.

-There is a TSM function called the Operational Reporter that is the simplest
way to set up daily TSM monitoring.  Read about it under the "monitoring your
server" section in the Administrator's Guide.  Even though y ou have an AIX
server, you set up OR on a Windows box.  Can be any Windows server in your
environment, or your desktop, for that matter.  It is a harmless Windows ap
with no hooks into TSM.  It scans the TSM log every day, can generate a report
of errors & missed backups via Email or as an HTML report plopped on any place
that is convenient for you to browse to.  That is the simplest way I've found
to do your daily server monitoring, and it's free..

-Some peopl also write perl and/or .ksh scripts to sent them mail about TSM
events.

-There are 3rd party products you can buy to do your TSM monitoring, at various
levels from free (TSM OR, above) to expensive, and everywhere in between.

If there is a particular function you are looking for, I might be able to give
you a more specific answer.