ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Fw: How to Incorporate a CDL into TSM environment?

2007-06-15 15:09:53
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Fw: How to Incorporate a CDL into TSM environment?
From: "Johnson, Milton" <milton.johnson AT CITI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:08:42 -0400
Why a VTL vs FILE devclass volumes on local drives?

1) With a VTL you can do LAN free backups.

2) Data Compression:
2A) TSM Client does compression: Big performance hit on the client,
slower backups/restores
2B) TSM server does compression (FILE devclass volumes on compressed
file systems): Big performance hit on server, slower
backups/reclaims/restores
2C) VTL does compression: No performance hits (just as with using
physical drives with compression)

3) I doubt the TSM server could write large amounts of data
simultaneously streaming in from 30 different clients to 30 different
FILE devclasses volumes as fast as it can write that data to a fibre
channel adapter.
3A) 30 input streams means 30 mounted FILE devclass volumes
3B) The drive heads would always be out of position for the next write.

4) Data Reduction/Data Deduplication/Content Aware Compression: What
ever the VTL vendor calls it, you don't have that available with FILE
devclass volumes.  (I realize that from previous posts you are not
comfortable with this technology, I myself have not used it.)

5) Do you really want to manage an AIX system with a 25TB, 50TB or a
100TB file system?  After a system crash how long will a FSCK of 100Tb
take?

Thanks,
H. Milton Johnson