ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Any tips for someone making the leap of faith of migrating from z/OS to AIX

2007-06-14 12:16:58
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Any tips for someone making the leap of faith of migrating from z/OS to AIX
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:15:55 -0400
-----Norman Gee wrote: -----

>With TSM on the mainframe, I have access to console message
>automation and tape media management with CA-1 or RMM.
>
>I understand that with AIX, I will no longer have these functions
>provided for me. On z/OS the tape library is manage by other
>mainframe products. TSM on z/OS has no knowledge about the tape
>library on z/OS other than the number of drives and the device
>types. SMS rules decides on the tape media is correct and the
>system assign the tape drives. What new TSM commands will I have
>to learn with AIX. z/OS version of TSM has no concepts of library,
>library checkin or /dev/rmtn, ATAPE or other unique Unix thing.

My site migrated its TSM server from z/OS to zSeries Linux a couple
of years ago. The technical issues involved in such a migration are
nearly the same as for a z/OS to AIX migration.

You will need to learn new options for the 'DEFINE LIBRARY' command.
The AIX version requires you to specify, or accept defaults for,
informaton about the library's internal operations that would be
somebody else's problem in a z/OS environment. You will need to learn
the 'DEFINE DRIVE' command and 'DEFINE PATH' commands. You will need
to learn the 'LABEL LIBVOLUME' command. You will need to learn the
'CHECKIN LIBVOLUME' and 'CHECKOUT LIBVOLUME' commands. If you use
DRM, you will need to understand how and when it performs checkout
operations automatically. You will need to learn the 'QUERY LIBRARY',
'QUERY DRIVE', 'QUERY PATH', and 'QUERY LIBVOLUME' commands, and
possibly the corresponding SQL tables.

>I have it setup with full message automation, highlighted console
>messages, automatic emails and automatic responses to messages.  How
>would I set up something similar in AIX? Is there a joblog for the
>TSM process similar to the z/OS STC message log?

We wrote a Perl script to replace the z/OS automation facilies. It
opens a pipe to a 'dsmadmc' process with the '-console' option. This
enables the script to read all the messages the TSM server writes to
its console and take appropriate action as needed.

We have since acquired TSMManager, a non-IBM product that provides
for automated monitoring of TSM operations and for manual management
of one or more TSM servers. It provides a better designed and less
resource hungry GUI than IBM's Administration Center. We are in the
process of migrating most of the monitoring functions of the Perl
script to TSMManager.

There is a Unix-oriented version of NetView available, and a variety
of competing products with more or less similar functionality. I have
never worked with any of these, but the impression I get from their
documentation is that installing and configuring any of them is too
big an effort to be justified by TSM automation alone.

>Is there a white paper for someone making a similar transition?
>
>With z/OS a lot of things are taken for granted or are handle by>other
products.