ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Fw: How to Incorporate a CDL into TSM environment?

2007-06-12 12:19:12
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Fw: How to Incorporate a CDL into TSM environment?
From: "Johnson, Milton" <milton.johnson AT CITI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 12:16:27 -0400
Yes a virtual tape volume can be accessed only by one client at a time
and if two processes/clients try to access the same volume at the same
time one process/client must wait.  Again smaller volume sizes decreases
the chance that a contention would happen and also decrease the
contention duration.

Why a VTL?  With us we found that when we out grew our physical library
we would have to have to buy over 30 physical drives in order to be able
to do backups, restores, cut off-site tapes and reclaim on/off site
tapes in the time allowed.  That amounted to some serious money, more
than our VTL costs.  When you also take into account the costs of the
much larger DISKPOOL a physical tape library requires, growing a
physical tape library in a TSM environment is not cheap.  The VTL
footprint is also smaller which also should considered in the total cost
of ownership.  Sorry, but we had to justify our VTL purchase.

Thanks,
H. Milton Johnson