ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Cannot get tapes labelled in 3584 SCSI library: help

2007-06-12 09:07:00
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Cannot get tapes labelled in 3584 SCSI library: help
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:05:40 -0400
Hi Matthew!

No, for some weird reason I didn't get those responses, but I was finally
able to label the volumes with: label libvol cdlb_dev search=yes
volrange=db0000,db0209 labelsource=barcode.

Thank you everyone for your responses!  I really appreciate the help!

********************************
Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems, Storage Mngt Analyst III
Phone Number: (717)302-9966
Fax: (717) 302-9826
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com
********************************

"Matthew Warren" <Matthew_WARREN AT BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
06/12/2007 08:56 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Cannot get tapes labelled in 3584 SCSI library: help

Hi Joni,

did you try the previous suggestions using the reply command?
Also,
John Schneider wrote

Greetings,
             This is not the syntax for a CDL, since it does not have an
I/O
door.  Why are you trying to label only one tape, anyway, when you want
to label them all?
             The syntax should be:

label libvol cdlb_dev search=yes labelsource=barcode checkin=scratch

This will label all the virtual tapes with the virtual barcode label.
On a CDL, it takes just a few seconds per tape to label these, not 1-2
minutes apiece like it does on a real tape drive.

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
Sr. System Administrator - Storage
Sisters of Mercy Health System
3637 South Geyer Road
St. Louis, MO.  63127
Email:  schnjd AT stlo.mercy DOT net
Office: 314-364-3150, Cell:  314-486-2359

           Internet
           joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM
           Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU                     cc

           12/06/2007 13:05                Subject
                                                 [ADSM-L] Cannot get tapes
labelled in 3584 SCSI
                                                 library: help
                 Please respond to
                ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

Hey Everyone,

I am trying to add virtual tapes into TSM scsi library cdlb_dev which is
actually a virtual library for which I am emulating an IBM 3584 and IBM
LTO2 tape media and I am getting the following error:

Date/Time             Message
--------------------
06/11/07 15:03:14     ANR0984I Process 820 for LABEL LIBVOLUME started in
the
                      BACKGROUND at 15:03:14. (SESSION: 253882, PROCESS:
820)
06/11/07 15:03:14     ANR8799I LABEL LIBVOLUME: Operation for library
CDLB_DEV
                      started as process 820. (SESSION: 253882, PROCESS:
820)
06/11/07 15:03:14     ANR0609I LABEL LIBVOLUME started as process 820.
(SESSION:
                      253882, PROCESS: 820)
06/11/07 15:03:14     ANR8439I SCSI library CDLB_DEV is ready for
operations.
                      (SESSION: 253882, PROCESS: 820)
06/11/07 15:03:14     ANR8323I 001: Insert ANY volume DB0000 R/W into
entry/exit
                      port of library CDLB_DEV within 60 minute(s); issue

                      'REPLY' along with the request ID when ready.
(SESSION:
                      253882, PROCESS: 820)

This is on a TSM 5.3.4.2 server.

Library CDLB_DEV

                  Library Name: CDLB_DEV
                  Library Type: SCSI
                        ACS Id:
              Private Category:
              Scratch Category:
         WORM Scratch Category:
              External Manager:
                        Shared: No
                       LanFree:
            ObeyMountRetention:
       Primary Library Manager:
                           WWN: 2002000D77BD375D
                 Serial Number: 0011815699830401

                   Source Name: TSMDEV
                   Source Type: SERVER
              Destination Name: CDLB_DEV
              Destination Type: LIBRARY
                       Library:
                     Node Name:
                        Device: /dev/smc0
              External Manager:
                           LUN:
                     Initiator: 0
                     Directory:
                       On-Line: Yes

I entered the command: label libvol cdlb_dev db0000 checkin=scratch.

Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?  Any help/suggestions are
appreciated.

Thanks in advance!