ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] IBM TS7520 VTL

2007-06-08 11:41:11
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] IBM TS7520 VTL
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 11:40:18 -0400
I have a customer with a 7510, it has worked flawlessly and is VERY easy to
implement.
I have 2 other customers with non-IBM VTL's that have run into some
configuration and throughput issues.
All VTL's have different capabilities and different throughput characteristics
- you have to match yours to your throughput expectations.

I have not yet touched a 7520 in the wild, but as far as I can tell, it's
terrific.

IBM took the 7510 and fixed all its limitations (which weren't out of line with
other vendors to start with).  The 7520 has more fibre connections & path
failover, which the 7510 did not.  It will scale up to 800 TB (yep that's with
a T), which many (most) of the VTL's on the market will not.

An ordinary 2-engine 7520 will support a total throughput rate of 2400 MB/sec.
A 4-engine config will support up to 4800 MB/sec (yep thats
four-eight-zero-zero) MB/sec.

Looks to me like it's the biggest, baddest, boy on the block now as far as
VTL's go.
What's not to like?!?

Just my opinion.
Wanda (no I don't sell hardware, I just like TSM to fly...) Prather