ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] LABEL LIBV & VOLHIST problem

2007-06-06 10:31:38
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] LABEL LIBV & VOLHIST problem
From: Michael Green <mishagreen AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 17:30:32 +0300
On 6/6/07, Richard Sims <rbs AT bu DOT edu> wrote:
On Jun 6, 2007, at 4:20 AM, Michael Green wrote:

> That volume wasn't in the Library so I decided to label it into the
> library to make it scratch volume for anyone use.

The standard procedure is to perform a Checkin of a labeled volume
which is known to TSM and has been out of the library.  I would
recommend reviewing your overall procedures for tape handling to
assure proper life cycle flow of tape cartridges: you don't want to
be performing random actions on TSM volumes.

Richard, thanks!

Strictly speaking you are right, I should have used checkin instead of
label, but in the past I have stumbled upon several previously used
tapes with unreadable bar code. So for tapes that haven't been used
for quite awhile (our library is seriously overflown) and which I'm
sure are empty I prefer to use LABEL instead of CHECKIN. It is my
understanding that using either CHECKIN or LABEL in this situation
wouldn't affect the final result: a SCRATCH tape in library.

The ANR1314I message is normal, simply meaning that all TSM data
which had been on the volume is now off (through expiration or
deletion) and so the tape returns to scratch.

Right, the tape is empty and the fact that it cannot be found in any
storage pool and it doesn't show up in q volh t=dbb/dbs serves as a
proof of that.

I'm just looking for a confirmation of my assumption that I cannot
label/checkin stat=scr because it appear to belong to TSM-SERVER-3 in
the volume history. If yes (or if no) how can I fix this?

--
Warm regards,
Michael Green