ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] ext2 extended file attributes?

2007-05-29 15:16:11
Subject: [ADSM-L] ext2 extended file attributes?
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 14:15:26 -0500
One of my users pointed out that ext2 has an extended attribute to tell
dump not to back it up.  He was wondering if TSM honored that setting.
I gave it a try (chattr +d test_file) and then did an incremental backup
of the directory.  TSM seemed to ignore the no_dump bit and backed up
the file, and upon restore, didn't restore the ext2 attributes (they
were all blank.)  Is this expected?  I can understand, perhaps, not
honoring the no_dump (since it's not dump,) but I'm a little concerned
extended file attributes for ext3 aren't backed up/restored.  Is there a
special flag or setting I need to define on the client for that
behavior?  A bug?

This is on a 5.3.3 client on a RedHat AS4 system.

Dave