ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Incremental Database backups never expire

2007-05-29 14:57:53
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Incremental Database backups never expire
From: "Schneider, John" <schnjd AT STLO.MERCY DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 13:57:02 -0500
Richard,
        I could't agree more.  The incremental database backups going to
disk will not help us in a disaster recovery scenario; we still get a
full TSM database backup to tape every 24 hours for DR.  The incremental
database backup was proposed to us by an IBM Global Services consultant
because the TSM log can't grow past 13GB, and some of our TSM servers
have too much activity and their logs were filling up.  We used to allow
the TSM server to trigger full backups in that situation; but the
problem was that occasionally there weren't enough tape drives
available, and the log would fill up while waiting for one.  Then I was
up in the middle of the night recovering a TSM server by extending it's
log temporarily.  Not pleasant to do 2 or 3 times a week, and always
risky.
        I would still like to ask that someone address my question about
how do I expire the old incremental database files?  If I turn on
DRFILEPROCESS so "move drmedia" picks them up, will they go to VAULT
status, then get deleted by "expire inv"?

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
Sr. System Administrator - Storage
Sisters of Mercy Health System
3637 South Geyer Road
St. Louis, MO.  63127
Email:  schnjd AT stlo.mercy DOT net
Office: 314-364-3150, Cell:  314-486-2359