ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Point in time restore problem

2007-05-26 23:09:07
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Point in time restore problem
From: William Boyer <bjdboyer AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 23:08:21 -0400
Instead of doing a SELECTIVE backup on a periodic basis, which won't update the
last backup date/time of the filespace, use the
MODE=ABSOLUTE of the backup copygroup. In your domain, make a copy of the
active policy set and change all the management class
backup copygroups to MODE=ABSOLUTE instead of the default of MODIFIED. Then on
your "occasional" timeframe, run an admin schedule to
activate this policy set, do your backups which are incremental and then the
next day run another admin schedule to activate your
MODE=MODIFIED policyset. This way your schedules don't change and as far as the
client is concerned you just ran a unqualified
INCREMENTAL backup and the filespaces are updated. Since the active policyset
will have ABSOLUTS, you'll get a copy of every file
whether it's changed or not.

I've been doing TSM not for over 8-years and this is the first time I've ever
thought of a way to use multiple policyset definitions
in a domain.

Bill Boyer
"Backup my harddrive? How do I put it in reverse?" - ??