ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] lingering copypool copies?

2007-05-16 14:00:50
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] lingering copypool copies?
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 13:59:57 -0400
-----Dave Mussulman wrote: -----

>Is there a best practice for moving nodes between domains, when
>the domains have different storage pools, copy pools, management
>classes, etc.?  I noticed when I changed nodes to the new domain,
>the new management classes and rebinding occurred (which is fine,)
>but any data stored in the previous storage groups still remains,
>along with its copypool copies. I didn't really expect pre-existing
>data to magically migrate, and since I was taking the old domain's
>primary disk storage pool out of service anyway, I did a 'move data'
>for those old disk volumes to a different tape pool, and then
>removed the disk volumes.
>
>I expected that the next expire inventory would remove the copies
>for the files no longer in the stgpool they were copied from (or
>even that the stgpool no longer existed,) but that didn't happen.
>(I guess the copies are tied to the file without any regard for
>the stgpool they are/were in.) The new domain doesn't have any
>copypools configured, and I'd like to free those copy tapes up.
>How do I do that?

If you want to get rid of all the files in the old copy pool, you
can use 'delete volume' commands with 'discard=yes' to delete the
volumes.

If there is still some data you want to keep in the old copy pool,
you can use the 'delete volume' command and then execute 'backup
stgpool' commands to recopy the data you want to keep.

You mention that the new domain will not have copy pool coverage.
Most TSM administrators consider this a bad idea (unless there is
some kind of protection against media failure built into the tape
infrastructure).