ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Help on reclamation of copy storage pool

2007-05-15 11:30:31
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Help on reclamation of copy storage pool
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 11:29:53 -0400
>> On Tue, 15 May 2007 11:18:40 -0300, "Ing. Fernando Villarreal - Silice S.A."
>> <fvillarreal AT SILICE DOT BIZ> said:

> I have also a copy stotage pool "copypool" on tape, where we do a daily
> copy of "dskpool".
> When I create a new sequential access pool there's no way to assign
> "copypool" as a next storage pool, so I don't see the way to move from
> the new reclamation pool to "copypool".

Right. You never move data from a copy pool; ever, ever, ever.

This is because files are marked with, in essence, a bit field
denoting which copy stgpools posess copies of them.  Moving data
around from one copypool to another would invalidate these markers.
Panic in the streets, dogs &cats ... well, you get the idea.

If you want to generate the media-level efficiencies of a storage
heirarchy for your copy pools, you'll need to deploy virtual volumes.
If you do that, you can write to disk and migrate to tape on the
hosting TSM server.

- Allen S. Rout