ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 10 Gbit ethernet [backups to remote data centers]

2007-04-26 09:28:08
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 10 Gbit ethernet [backups to remote data centers]
From: Charles A Hart <charles_hart AT UHC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 08:27:30 -0500
Anther methodology we employ for our Offsite Backup Copy Process is a
12Gige Fibre over IP (FCIP using a Cisco 9513 w/FCIP Blade) that spans
approx 12miles. So far we are seeing 20 to 75MBS per Tape Device.  Tape
Devices are "Zoned" across the FCIP link for the primary DC TSM Server to
write the Offsite to.  I don't know the distance that FCIP can go without
issues.

Regards,

Charles

James R Owen <Jim.Owen AT YALE DOT EDU>
04/26/2007 04:28 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] 10 Gbit ethernet [backups to remote data centers]

Keith,
I can't speak about 10Gb, but we use fibre-extended 1Gb ethernets between
our A & B data centers.  TSM clients @ A backup over the 1Gb network to
a TSM service @ B.  Their backups are stored on disks and tapes @ B.
Similarly TSM clients @ B backup to a TSM service @ A.  Works well for us.
--
Jim.Owen AT Yale DOT Edu   (203.432.6693)

Orville Lantto wrote:
> Can 10 Gbit Ethernet go 60 miles?  How are you writing to the remote
tape devices?

> Orville L. Lantto
> Glasshouse Technologies, Inc.
>

> ________________________________

to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and
may contain information that is confidential, privileged, and/or otherwise
exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If this electronic message
is from an attorney or someone in the Legal Department, it may also
contain confidential attorney-client communications which may be
privileged and protected from disclosure.  If you are not the intended
recipient, be advised that you have received this message in error and
that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying is strictly
prohibited.  Please notify the New York State Thruway Authority
immediately by either responding to this e-mail or calling (518) 436-2700,