ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Restore TSM from a DBS?

2007-03-29 09:01:44
Subject: [ADSM-L] Restore TSM from a DBS?
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 09:01:07 -0400
Hello everyone!

I will be attempting to restore a TSM server from a database snapshot at
our disaster recovery site.  We have an AIX 5.3 server with TSM 5.2.7.1.
The database snapshot was replicated to our DR site daily for easy
recovery.  We have also copied our TSM log and database once a day to our
DR site.  (I later found out that this was not acceptable to restoring the
environment.)

My question is:  when I go down there I will have the TSM recovery log and
database volumes already created as well as having the DRM plan and the
database snapshot there as well, so can I just issue the ./dsmserv restore
db todate=03/18/2007 totime=11:12:59 source=dbs command without first
creating, formatting and initializing the log and database volumes?

Here is my previous DR plan.  I have included questions/comments in RED.
Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

DR  DRILL 2007

1.      Open Systems will restore the operating system of CHRS144 from the
replicated disk at SunGard

2.      Verify that the DRM Plan file was created within
/t01/dr/recoveryplans directory by cd /t01/dr/recoveryplans.  The plan to
be used for the March 30th DR Drill is: 20070318.124537

3.      Break the DRM Plan into scripts/macros by using an awk script or
an editor to break the stanzas into individual files.  A sample procedure,
planespl.awk, is located in /t01/dr/recoveryplans.
a.      awk ?f planexpl.awk 20070318.124537

4.      Verify that the following files exist: cd to each of the following
directories and doing an ls-la against the subdirectory and also check to
see that the date is current:
·       /usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/dsmserv.opt ? TSM server?s options file
·       /t01/volhist/hist01 ? TSM server?s volume history file
·       /t01/devconfig/dev01 ? TSM server?s device configuration file

5.      Restore server options, volume history, device configuration
files.
a.      cp /t01/dr/recoveryplans/DSMSERV.OPT.FILE
/usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/dsmserv.opt
b.      cp /t01/dr/recoveryplans/VOLUME.HISTORY.FILE /t01/volhist/hist01
c.      cp /t01/dr/recoveryplans/DEVICE.CONFIGURATION.FILE
/t01/devconfig/dev01

6.      Make sure that you preserve the original device configuration file
by making a copy:
a.      cd /t01/devconfig
¨       cp dev01 dev01copy

Can probably eliminate Step 7 & 8
7.      Change the configuration file to appear as below for
/t01/devconfig/dev01. A copy of this is within /t01/devconfig/drdev, so
please issue the following command: cp /t01/devconfig/drdev
/t01/devconfig/dev01
/* Device Configuration */
DEFINE DEVCLASS DBB DEVTYPE=LTO FORMAT=DRIVE MOUNTLIMIT=DRIVES
MOUNTWAIT=60 MOUNTRETENTION=60 PREFIX=ADSM LIBRARY=DRLIB
SET SERVERNAME TSMPROD
DEFINE LIBRARY DRLIB LIBTYPE=MANUAL
DEFINE DRIVE DRLIB LTO1 ONLINE=YES
DEFINE PATH TSMPROD LTO1 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE LIBRARY=DRLIB
DEVICE=/dev/rmt0 ONLINE=YES

8.      In order to begin the TSM server with a manual drive, you must
have the correct device configuration file with a manual library, manual
drive and the correct path.  Contact Open Systems to find what the
/dev/rmt# is for the manual LTO2 tape drives.  Insert the correct drive
definition within /t01/devconfig/dev01

9.      Go to the directory /usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin by: cd
/usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin and vi the dsmserv.opt file.

10.     Within the dsmserv.opt file in the /usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin
directory, comment out duplicate entries of the device configuration and
volume history files that are used.  Please comment out the following:
a.      /usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/volhist
b.      /usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/devconfig
c.      Save the file by: :wq!

11.     Check to see that the DSMSERV_CONFIG is set.  If it returns a
blank line, then it hasn?t been set.
a.      echo $DSMSERV_CONFIG

12.     If the DSMSERV_CONFIG doesn?t exist, then:
a.      export DSMSERV_CONFIG=/usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/dsmserv.opt

13.     echo $DSMSERV_CONFIG to see that the directory is now set to
/usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/dsmserv.opt

14.     Check to see that the DSMSERV_DIR is set.  If it returns a blank
line, then it hasn?t been set.
a.      echo $DSMSERV_DIR

15.     If the DSMSERV_DIR doesn?t exist, then:
a.      export DSMSERV_DIR=/usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin

16.     Check to see that the DSMSERV_DIR is now set to
/usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin.  You can do so by: df-kI from a command line
on CHRS144.

17.     Open Systems must have the creation of the log, db & stgpool
filesystems before continuing!!!!!  They should have the space available
up front, but the file systems should have no data within them!
a.      /tsmprod/log
b.      /tsmprod/db1

I think I can eliminate Step 18 - 19.  Would this be true?
18.     Create and format the log and database files.
a.      /t01/dr/recoveryplans/LOGANDDB.VOLUMES.CREATE 2>&1 | tee
/t01/dr/recoveryplans/LOGANDDB.VOLUMES.CREATE.log

19.     Initialize the log and database files.
a.      /t01/dr/recoveryplans/LOGANDDB.VOLUMES.INSTALL 2>&1 | tee
/t01/dr/recoveryplans/LOGANDDB.VOLUMES.INSTALL.log

20.     Restore the server database to the latest version backed up per
the volume history file.  Please enter the dsmserv in one of the following
methods:
a.      cd  /usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin
·        ./dsmserv restore db todate=03/18/2007 totime=11:12:59 source=dbs

21.     Start the server.
a.      Login as root
b.      cd /usr/superuser/scripts/apps/startup
c.      ./10tsm* start

Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems, Senior Systems Programmer
Phone Number: (717)302-9966
Fax: (717) 302-9826
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com