ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] HSM for Windows

2007-03-27 14:01:29
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] HSM for Windows
From: "Weeks, Debbie" <debbie AT ADMIN.USF DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 14:01:08 -0400
If we had known that we would not have purchased the product.  We must
have downloaded the wrong set of documentation when we were reviewing
the product.  It appears that the only thing that HSM gets us is a stub
file, making an archived file recallable by the end user.  Everything
else we could have done with the existing archiving functionality.

Most HSM products allow migration to a third level of storage based on
access or modification dates, not just based on the date it was
archived.  HSM for Unix is apparently aware of that, and has that
functionality.  Our users will not tolerate the recall time needed for
tape storage, and delaying the migration by a few days with no other
specified criteria won't do.

I believe what we will have to do, since we are a new implementation, is
to setup a two step process.  First we will run an HSM job that will
migrate the oldest data to tape, then we will run another job to archive
the more recent files to the space management disk pool.  This makes
this a much more manual process than what we were hoping for, but does
it sound reasonable?

Debbie