ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] 3584/3494 differences with tape issues

2007-03-26 17:41:06
Subject: [ADSM-L] 3584/3494 differences with tape issues
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 14:08:20 -0700
I've run into a couple of situations where what works very easily with a
3494 does not at all with a 3584. For instance, I had a scratch tape
that was mounted as part of a TSM process and there was an issue with
the tape that caused the path to go offline. The tape stayed stuck in
the drive and after we removed it I was thinking that as long as the
tape was in a dismounted state in the drive the library would put it
away once I closed the door, but it did not.

TSM put this tape in a private status but there is no data on the tape.
So the question is how to get this tape, either out of the inventory so
I can get it out of TSM or put away from the drive or door since TSM has
no idea the tape is still sitting there. I don't understand an ejected
tape not getting put away by the library but maybe the simplistic
architecture of the 3584 prevents that from happening. I also don't
understand this library not having a 'lost cell' but then again maybe
the answer is the same.

Does anyone have a procedure to clean this up or any suggestions?

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
PeopleSoft Sr. Systems Administrator
SAIC M/S-G1b