ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Moving Library Owner/Manager

2007-03-21 10:29:05
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Moving Library Owner/Manager
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:28:39 -0400
Thank you for the details. This sounds like a daunting and long process,
including some long outages, since I have thousands of tapes to eject from
the 3494.

Yes, the 3-tape (1-3494 2-3583)  libraries, owned by 2-AIX servers are
used by 5-TSM servers, the 2-AIX and 3-Linux (soon to be 5-Linux).

I too want to get ahead of the game, by predefining the 3494 library to
one of the new servers and start migrating from one stgpool to new one
defined to the "new library".

Suad Musovich <musovich AT NZ1.IBM DOT COM>
03/20/2007 06:27 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] Moving Library Owner/Manager

There's not a single tasklist you can work on because of differing
environments
(are both TSM servers using the libraries themselves? is there
non-standard inventory... like backupsets?)

The last time I did it, it was something like this.

On the old Library Manager (LM)...
- Identify(generate a list) and checkout (rem=no) all Private volumes,
from that library.
- Then do the same with scratch carts.
- Delete the paths/drives/library definitions

Then, if required, make the new TSM server the library control (if the
library needs to record which host is the LM)

On the new LM ...
- Define the library/device class/drives/paths (remember to add all remote
TSM server paths)
- Checkin all private carts (from the list, you generated, including which
TSM server is the owner)
- Then the checkin all scratch carts.

On the old LM ..
- define shared library with -primarylibman is the new LM

Then you need to check if any carts thats are in inventory but did not
successfully get checked in (the most common
examples are backupsets and DB backups.

I ended up doing a lot of pre-work(migrations etc) and needed to draft
quite a detailed implementation/backout
plan, as the enviroment was non trivial.

If you have multiple TSM servers sharing a library, I would personally
define a dedicated TSM LM instance
(maybe on a separate port) that you can easily move with minimal planning,
in future.

Cheers, Suad
--

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 21/03/2007
05:36:37 AM: