ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Error writing volume history file

2007-03-21 04:20:31
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Error writing volume history file
From: Henrik Wahlstedt <SHWL AT STATOIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:20:05 +0100

Hi,

Cowen is probably right. The problem might be "At what rate do you
create/delete these during the night?"

TSM (5.3.4.2) have a timing issue regarding a fast update rate of
volhist.out. And will get a
lock for about an hour until it continue its processing.
In my case I was deleting old copypool volumes with a macro, del vol
discadd=y wait=y'.

05-03-2007 13:02:37      ANR2017I Administrator issued command: DELETE
VOLUME
                         001535 discardd=y wait=y  (SESSION: 1)
05-03-2007 13:02:37      ANR0984I Process 204 for DELETE VOLUME (DISCARD
DATA)
                         started in the FOREGROUND at 13:02:37.
(SESSION: 1,
                         PROCESS: 204)

05-03-2007 14:03:02      ANR0538I A resource waiter has been aborted.

05-03-2007 14:03:02      ANR0538I A resource waiter has been aborted.

05-03-2007 14:03:02      ANR4513E A database lock conflict was
encountered in
                         processing sequential volume history
information.
05-03-2007 14:03:02      ANR9999D icvolhst.c(4060): ThreadId<37> Lock
Conflict
                         encountered in updating volume history
list.(SESSION: 1,
                         PROCESS: 204)

05-03-2007 14:03:03      ANR9999D ThreadId<37> issued message 9999 from:

                         (SESSION: 1, PROCESS: 204)

05-03-2007 14:03:03      ANR4510E Server could not write sequential
volume history
                         information to volhist.out.

L2 support confirmed the timing issue and kindly asked me to restart TSM
server without volhist option so I could finsh my job.
... answers like that is why I like to spend $$$ on support...

//Henrik
(I might still not know what I am talking about..) ;)