ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Error writing volume history file

2007-03-20 16:06:17
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Error writing volume history file
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 16:05:58 -0400
-----Richard Sims wrote: -----

>One possible, but less likely cause could be a volume history set of
>such size that it exceeds the "filesize" Unix Resource Limit under
>which the TSM server was started: if yours is a large set, try
>pruning and see if the problem goes away.  Another possible cause is
>the TSM server running out of file descriptors as it attempts to
>open that external file: if low, boost that number for server
>start.

The volume history file is around one megabyte. We create and fill
one gigabyte scratch volumes in file device classes every night.

I su'ed to root and executed a ulimit command. The limit for open
files is 1024. The only ulimit command in the /etc/init.d/dsmserv
script pertains to core file size, so the TSM server is presumably
using the 1024 file limit. We have 5 pairs of mirrored recovery
log volumes, 26 unmirrored database volumes, a maxsess option
value of 120, and 9 tape drives. I have not been able to think
of any plausible scenario that leads to crowding the open file
limit. If we were hitting the open file limit I would expect to
see write failures for a variety of files, not just the volume
history file.