ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Error writing volume history file

2007-03-20 15:09:48
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Error writing volume history file
From: Bill Kelly <KELLYWH AT AUBURN DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:09:15 -0500
Is it not possible that the /var filesystem *sometimes* has too little
space available?  After all, didn't you say that this only fails roughly
every one to two weeks?  Perhaps the failures coincide with some other
activity (possibly unrelated to TSM) that temporarily eats up most/all
of the available space in /var?  Dumps?  Logs?  Something else?

-Bill

Bill Kelly
Auburn University OIT
334-844-9917

>>> Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG> 3/20/2007 1:43
PM >>>
-----Mark Stapleton wrote: -----

>Does the directory exist?

Yes.

>Is there room in the /var filesystem?

The file system has about 240 megabytes of free space. Our volume
history file is a little under one megabyte.

>Does the service running dsmserv have sufficient privilege to write
>to the directory?

The server code runs as root, which can write to any file in any
directory, regardless of ownership and permission bits. The server
usually can write to the file. We update the volume history file
many times every day, and the errors occur once every week or two
on average.

>It's going to be one of those three things.
No, its not.