ADSM-L

Re: Volume History Question

2007-03-14 10:40:38
Subject: Re: Volume History Question
From: Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:39:06 +0000
Many thanks Gary

Helpful and concise as always. I think what I'm going to do is just keep
about six months worth.

Much appreciated

Farren
|-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------|
|   "Lee, Gary D."            |                                           |
|   <GLEE AT BSU DOT EDU>            |

|   Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor |                                         To|
|   Manager"                  |                               ADSM-L AT VM DOT
MA|
|   <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>    |                               RIST.EDU

|                             |                                         cc|
|   14/03/2007 14:20          |                                           |
|                             |                                    Subject|
|         Please respond to   |                               Re: [ADSM-L]|
|         "ADSM: Dist Stor    |                               Volume      |
|             Manager"        |                               History     |
|      <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> |                               Question

|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------|

Sir:

Depends on what you want to have available.  I let my volume history
grow.  This is because I occasionally need to know the history of a
particular tape cartridge.
After it goes back to scratch, tsm loses its error information.  I can
use the volhist to see how many times it has cycled through stgnew
through stgdelete.

However, If you have no need for such historical data, you are correct.
You only need data back to the oldest db backup.

Gary Lee
Senior System Programmer
Ball State University