ADSM-L

When is a new node not a new node....

2007-03-07 11:05:55
Subject: When is a new node not a new node....
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 11:05:25 -0500
or in other words, can I change what box is attached to a nodename,
without doing a complete "new" backup ?

Here is the scenario.

We have 2 identical Solaris systems. One is the live box.......the other
is an rsync copy, dumped to nightly.

Currently, we backup the live box, which is causing collisions/heartburn
with the rsync process.

So, we want to move the backup process to the rsync copy machine.  But we
want to retain the existing backups.

We use NODENAME definitions since the TCP/IP names don't match, anyway..

So, what factors define when a box switch is considered a new box versus
sneaking the change by and convincing TSM that this is the same node it
has been backing up when it really isn't (pay not attention to the man
behind the curtain...)?

Obviously, the IP and TCP/IP names will change.  Other than that, I am
told the boxes are identical.