ADSM-L

JR- NDMP backup via the GUI

2007-03-06 10:58:49
Subject: JR- NDMP backup via the GUI
From: JR Trimark <j.r.trimark AT AURORA DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 09:54:12 -0600
BACKGROUND
Equipment: IBM P-Series AIX 5.2 server running TSM 5.3, EMC Celerra DART
5.5.24-2. I would like to use the Client on the TSM server to do
backups/restores via the GUI.
I have read the IBM Redbook (Using the IBM Storage N Series with IBM
Tivoli Storage Manager SG24-7243-00) on NDMP and it is not clear on how to
manage a NAS backup via the GUI.
Chapter 3 Configuring IBM Tivoli Storage Manager goes into how to
configureTSM via the GUI Wizard, tape drive and NAS to work together; no
mention of granting authority unless this is done behind the scenes.
On Page 32 it is detailed on how to set the above up using the CLI. Page
37 you must grant authority for the TSM server over the NAS box. This is
the process we used.

Chapter 4 Backup and Restoring Data On Page 42 you must grant authority
system for TSM client. This will change the authority from TSM Admin and
NAS Data Mover to System but the above CLI step explicitly told me I
needed to do this.

PROBLEM
When I start up the TSM GUI Client I do not see the NAS box. I have
confirmed that the NAS box can be seen via the dsmc client on the TSM
server. I have tried this before/after granting the additional authority
that is mentioned in Chapter 4.
What are the correct steps for the TSM client to be able to backup/restore
the NAS box via the GUI?

Thanks in advance.