ADSM-L

Re: Big fun with Windows 2003 and IBM 3494 libraries

2007-02-13 18:28:38
Subject: Re: Big fun with Windows 2003 and IBM 3494 libraries
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 18:28:20 -0500
Mark,

The IBM Automatied Library Service is a tcp/ip application.
The 3494 won't show up in Windows Device Manager, or the TSM management
console, because there is no physical cable connection to the 3494 library
manager; TSM talks to it via IP (usually).

The device name you need for TSM is the name you created in the ibmatl.conf
file.

The other thing you have to do is go to the 3494 library maangement console,
look for the LAN config screen, and put the IP address of the TSM server in
there.  (Essentially giving the Windows TSM server permission to access the
3494.)

Then look in the driver user's guide for the mtlib utility.
You use mtlib to talk to 3494 libraries, ntutil to talk to the drives.

Open a CMD window, type:  mtlib -qL  -l   libname

(case sensitive:  -qL is little q big L;  -l libname is little l; libname is
the name you created in ibmatl.conf)

If your connection is working, you'll get back the library info such as # of
slots, serial#, and a page full of stuff you don't care about.  But it proves
your connection is working.