ADSM-L

Re: VTL's (looking for info)

2007-02-07 10:21:46
Subject: Re: VTL's (looking for info)
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 10:20:34 -0500
I have been pondering this for some time.  There are pros and cons
either way (vtl vs SAD (serial-access disk).

VTL Pros:
- Works with LAN-free backups.  SAD does not.
- Most of the newer VTLs either have data reduction technology, or
have it on their roadmap.  By "data reduction" I refer to
deduplication, or elimination of duplicate data.  Different vendors
deduplicate very differently, so be aware of these
differences.  There are good articles in "Storage" magazine (among
others) about the differences.  TSM does not do deduplication with SAD.
- Some VTL products do very well at scaling I/O performance.  With
SAD, this is something you're responsible for tuning.

SAD Pros:
- Possibly lower expense, tho with deduplication this could
change.  Many deduplication vendors talk about fairly high reduction
ratios which could actually make them less expensive, tho I have no
analysis of this.  TSM's use of compression, encryption, and
aggregation could impact reduction ratios, perhaps significantly.
- TSM development is enhancing SAD support to provide things like
active copy pools, et al.  It is not clear to me which, if any, of
these new features will eventually be supported or usable with
VTLs.  If TSM development will be putting more effort into enhancing
SAD, which appears to be the case, then is it a smart move to buy
into VTLs?  If you can't wait, you'll need to base your decision on
what is available today.

Frankly, if TSM deployed some sort of de-duplication technology, this
would sway my decision in favor of SAD.  We don't use LAN-free, and
have no immediate requirement for it, so using VTLs for that is not
an advantage to us.  Unfortunately, we may not be able to wait for that day.

Hope this analysis is of some use to you.
..Paul