ADSM-L

Re: Tape drive zones for FC drives - best practices

2007-02-07 05:51:32
Subject: Re: Tape drive zones for FC drives - best practices
From: Ian Smith <ian.smith AT OUCS.OX.AC DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 10:51:03 +0000
I second what John wrote. We have never experienced a device taking out all
devices in a zone - because we went with the best practice of one adapter <->
one target per zone from the beginning.
For clarity and sanity sake, use aliases for each device host side and target
side and a naming convention like: 'host-fcs2'  or 'switch2-rmt12' for the
aliases, create the zones using the alias names and roll up everything into a
'config' that you enable (load into flash memory on the switch).
Thus 6 months down the line when an adapter or  device fails and is replaced
and you are scratching your head at the schema you drew for yourself on a
scrap of A4 ...
you just login to the switch(es) and do:
 admin> alishow    # list your device aliases
 admin> aliadd  <aliasname> <new_WWN>  # add new WWN
 admin> aliremove <aliasname> <old_WWN>  # remove the old WWN
 admin> cfgshow      # show the new alias in the defined config
 admin> cfgsave      # save the config to internal flash
 admin> cfgenable    # enable the changed config
 admin> cfgactvshow  # sanity check

HTH
Ian Smith
Oxford University Computing Services